Do You Really Need a New Website? Maybe Just a Facelift Will Do . . .
You may be looking at your tired old website and think it’s the end of the line. But I just finished a little makeover—think of this as a facelift–for a client’s website, and it made a dramatic difference, giving it a new lease on life and a much longer lifespan.
The client: BizReady Brokers, a husband-and-wife team of smart, savvy business brokers with 50+ years of collective industry experience and a high customer service ethic. They had a canned site—a marketing company provides content and infrastructure, but gives them a lot of latitude for customization. The content feed is good, but my clients have never taken advantage of it—the last post was in 2013–or done much customization.
Later caught up with them, and their site was becoming a liability
My clients, Bob Heger and Lee Sheaffer, are not marketing people, and they launched their site without really giving much thought to SEO (search engine optimization), their marketing presence or how the site would look to a prospective client. They were happy to launch their site, relieved to be able to put their business broker hats back on. There were some problems, but they would deal with these later.
They knew their site was becoming a liability, and they asked me to help them update it. This was a simple project, and happily, some easy changes have made a dramatic difference. An irrelevant site with outdated content is now accessible, compelling and informative. It showcases Bob and Lee as the industry experts they are, has good navigation and improved SEO value.
Here’s what we did for BizReady Brokers:
- Identified lively new images that are representative of their potential clients.
- Updated homepage slider with these images, adding color, energy and movement to their site.
- Rewrote their bios to showcase their wide range of experience, using their keywords throughout.
- Added an About page that describes BizReady Brokers—another page of content to increase SEO value and highlight Lee and Bob’s services.
- Wrote Working with BizReady Brokers page—using several case studies to illustrate how Lee and Bob work with their clients, showcasing their high level of customer service and expertise negotiating leases, dealing with government agencies, market analysis, business valuation, etc.
- Updated testimonial page so testimonials are fully fleshed out and attractively displayed on the page.
- Name of company turned into a logo/tagline with use of a more stylish font, creating a more distinct marketing presence.
- Fleshed out Yoast plugin on backend to increase SEO value.
- Added calls to action on all of their personal pages; updated contact page, removing outdated Google map.
We’re all delighted with the way this website turned out. I knew from my quick initial review that it had “good bones” and would, with very little effort, become a site that would work well for BizReady Brokers.